Wednesday, October 8, 2008

R.I.P. Finn D. Gough

I have had my pet fish "Finn-d-go" (my "indigo-colored” beta) on my desk at work for over a couple of years now. The past few months he has suffered an ailment that he just couldn't shake. We contemplated putting him on Hospice, but Finn was afraid that his HMO would not cover this expense. Of course working with nurses everyone had their own opinion as to "help" hasten Finns pending demise. Suggestions were made including the following #1 sending him down the waterslide 2# putting him in the freezer, with hopes that he would suffer from hypothermia and slip into a state of unconsciousness #3 or creating a special potion of lidocaine mixed with vodka to soak him in. However, Reb and I, in the social work department, felt as though no matter how unsightly the growth on his back was getting, he was still able to maintain his dignity and quality of life. It was felt as though he was free from pain up until the very end. Early this morning he was pronounced dead by one of our licensed nurses. Finn, you will truly be missed!

3 comments:

Hughes Family 5 said...

Swim in peace, dear Finn.

Lisa, my heart is breaking for you and those who loved Finn as their own. May you be comforted by your memories of Finn and the knowledge that he's in the Lord's hands now. I'm here for you if you need anything. A casserole, perhaps?

Lisa & Marty said...

hows about a tater-tot casserole for 6? (Marty likes the left-overs)

Anonymous said...

My condolenscences!!! I know Finn was a "flip flop" wearer himself.